Academic Appointments, Honors, Grants & Awards
Dr. Finkel has been promoted to Professorial positions in psychiatry at two major Chicago medical centers: University of Chicago and Northwestern University. At the latter, he also attained Secondary Professorial appointments in both Internal Medicine and Neurology. He has received the highest awards and honors for his work in geriatric psychiatry from the American Psychiatric Association, the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry and the International Psychogeriatric Association. He has received millions of dollars for research in biological, social and psychological aspects of geriatric mental health.
University and Hospital Appointments
- Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of Chicago Medical School, 2001 – Present
- Professor of Psychiatry, Northwestern University Medical School, 1996 – 2001
- Secondary Appointment: Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, 1997 – 2001
- Secondary Appointment: Department of Neurology, Northwestern University Medical School, 1997 – 2001
Attending Medical Staff, Division of Psychiatry, NorthShore University HealthSystem, 2009- 2015; Emeritus Staff, 2015 – present
- International Psychogeriatric Association, Award for Extended Service, 1999
- American College of Psychiatrists, 1992 – 1999
- American Psychiatric Association Jack Weinberg Memorial Award for Excellence in Geriatric Psychiatry, 1997
- International Psychogeriatric Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Geriatric Psychiatry, 1989
- Founders Award, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 1989
- Founder and First President, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- Co-Founder and Past President, International Psychogeriatric Association.
- Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors, Chicago Metro Area, Current
Grants & Awards
- More than 9 million dollars for research and education in Geriatric Psychiatry.